When marketing your medical practice or healthcare organization online, you will, at some point want to consider using Google Adwords as one of your medical marketing strategies. Using Adwords effectively requires a firm understanding of Google’s quality score. The quality score of your ad has a big impact on not only your ad position, but also what your minimum bid for the particular keyword that you are targeting will be. The quality score of your pay per click ad is Google’s way of ensuring that your ad is relevant to someone’s search query.
Google is the most popular search engine for a reason; they give accurate search results! Their Adwords pay per click program is a huge money maker for them and they want to keep it that way. Quality score is one of the primary ways they accomplish this. To efficiently use Adwords to advertise your medical or healthcare organization, it’s good to know how get your quality score as high as possible.
How Does Google Go About Determining Your Quality Score?
Google takes into consideration three main factors to determine the quality score of your ad. First off, they look to see if your group of ads, or add groups, are relevant to the keywords that you are targeting. Google wants to make sure that when someone types in a key phrase, they are rewarded with an ad that is relevant to their search. You want any group of ads that you write to be tightly targeted around the key phrases that you have selected for that particular ad group.
Secondly, Google factors in your ad’s performance history. What has the click-through-rate for that ad been in the past? A high click-through-rate means that Google is making more money and that their customers are happy because they are most likely being shown relevant results when they click on your ad. One of the best ways to increase your CTR is to ensure that the key phrase is in the title of the ad. It is wise to monitor and split test different ads so that the ones that are getting the highest click-through-rates are the ads being shown.
The third area that Google uses to determine your quality score is the nature of the landing page where searchers wind up as a result of clicking on your ad. Does the page contain the keyword that they are searching for? Are they receiving relevant and quality information by clicking on your ad?
To Recap: The Three Most Important Factors for a High Quality Score.
- Use of relevant keywords as they pertain to a particular ad group.
- The performance history (click-through-rate) of your ads.
- Relevance of the landing page to the keyword being searched for.
The Six Steps to Focus on in Order to Raise Your Quality Score.
- Place your key phrase in the title and description of the ad.
- Organize your ad groups around a tightly focused set of keywords.
- Make sure your keywords are contained on your landing page.
- Consider having a separate landing page for each ad group.
- Put misspelled keywords in a separate ad group so that they will not negatively affect and bring down the other ad groups that are otherwise performing well.
- Use all three of the keyword match types; broad, “phrase” and [exact], in your ad groups as this will have a positive impact on your click-through-rate.
Making sure your Google Adwords Campaigns are optimized for peak performance is a time consuming task that many pay per click advertisers simply don’t bother with. If you want to increase your quality score and get the best value for your advertising dollar, then it is important that you do. It is definitely worth the extra time and effort!